Artsy Forager Interview from my Home Studio

Friday, March 22, 2013

The awesome Lesley Frenz at Artsy Forager has posted a fun interview out of my home studio. Here are a few highlights from our chat!

AF | Do you have a finished composition in mind when you begin or do you just feel your way through?
 
CB | I wish I were able to plan out my work but I can’t. Usually the only thing I can control is the colors I have chosen to use for a specific piece. Even that can and will change as I go! There are countless times when I am “seeing” the outcome in advance but usually the finished piece never matches that vision.

 
 
AF | How has your work changed since moving from Florida to Tennessee?
 
CB | I haven’t seen much change inspired from my move to another state but what I have seen and felt is change inspired by my life here in Tennessee. I have finally met my soul mate, another long but very beautiful story! He has brought so much joy and happiness to my family and my life that it has definitely shown up in my work. My husband collects comic books, bear with me as I’m going somewhere with this, and though it may seem unrelated to painting I feel it is relevant to the direction my art has taken. Learning more about the culture behind comics, and it goes so much deeper than Spider-Man, I have learned how wonderful it is to become open minded to so many areas in life some may have never thought to explore. Simon Pegg could not have said it better with this quote:
"Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It’s basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."
How does this fit into me being an artist? It’s becuase I am living my life and expressing myself via my work with the most liberating mindset that I have ever had. I am trying so many new things and have so much yet to discover that there is just not enough time in the day to do it all

 
 
[ pup Java likes to "help" ]
 
Read the rest of our chat here and thank you again Artsy Forager!
 
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment